Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0335
PLACENAME
Kilchoan
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10026
KEYWORDS
Mingary Castle
Mingarry Castle
Ardnamurchan
Lords of the Isles
Jacobites
Jacobite
Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, is of Mingary (Mingarry) Castle, 2 km southeast of Kilchoan, on the southern shore of Ardnamurchan, Argyll. Strategically situated, it dominates the northern entrances to Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull.The castle was the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds of the Isles.

The early history of Mingary is obscure, but its earliest parts date to the 13th century. In 1696, the Earl of Argyll granted the estate of Ardnamurchan, including Mingary, to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell, who set about improving the castle. In 1723 the estate was purchased by Alexander Murray of Stanhope, in whose possession it remained until 1743.

During the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 the castle was garrisoned by a small force of Hanoverian troops.The following year that force was increased to 59 officers and men. Around 1770 the estate was acquired by James Riddell and it remained in that family until 1848. Thereafter, the castle fell into ruin.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan

ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan

20c

Mingary Castle; Mingarry Castle; Ardnamurchan; Lords of the Isles; Jacobites; Jacobite

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, is of Mingary (Mingarry) Castle, 2 km southeast of Kilchoan, on the southern shore of Ardnamurchan, Argyll. Strategically situated, it dominates the northern entrances to Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull.The castle was the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds of the Isles. <br /> <br /> The early history of Mingary is obscure, but its earliest parts date to the 13th century. In 1696, the Earl of Argyll granted the estate of Ardnamurchan, including Mingary, to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell, who set about improving the castle. In 1723 the estate was purchased by Alexander Murray of Stanhope, in whose possession it remained until 1743. <br /> <br /> During the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 the castle was garrisoned by a small force of Hanoverian troops.The following year that force was increased to 59 officers and men. Around 1770 the estate was acquired by James Riddell and it remained in that family until 1848. Thereafter, the castle fell into ruin.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, but was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.