Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0339_AT_01
PLACENAME
Kilchoan
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan
DATE OF IMAGE
2007
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
10040
KEYWORDS
Mingary Castle
Mingarry Castle
Ardnamurchan
Lords of the Isles
Jacobites
Jacobite
Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan

This photograph is of Mingary (Mingarry) Castle, 2 km southeast of Kilchoan, on the southern shore of Ardnamurchan, Argyll. Strategically situated, it dominates the northern entrances to Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull. The castle was the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds of the Isles.

The early history of Mingary is obscure, but its earliest parts date to the 13th century. In 1696, the Earl of Argyll granted the estate of Ardnamurchan, including Mingary, to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell, who set about improving the castle. In 1723 the estate was purchased by Alexander Murray of Stanhope, in whose possession it remained until 1743.

During the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 the castle was garrisoned by a small force of Hanoverian troops. The following year that force was increased to 59 officers and men. Around 1770 the estate was acquired by James Riddell and it remained in that family until 1848. Thereafter, the castle fell into ruin.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mingary Castle, Ardnamurchan

ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan

2000s

Mingary Castle; Mingarry Castle; Ardnamurchan; Lords of the Isles; Jacobites; Jacobite

Andrew Taylor

This photograph is of Mingary (Mingarry) Castle, 2 km southeast of Kilchoan, on the southern shore of Ardnamurchan, Argyll. Strategically situated, it dominates the northern entrances to Loch Sunart and the Sound of Mull. The castle was the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds of the Isles.<br /> <br /> The early history of Mingary is obscure, but its earliest parts date to the 13th century. In 1696, the Earl of Argyll granted the estate of Ardnamurchan, including Mingary, to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell, who set about improving the castle. In 1723 the estate was purchased by Alexander Murray of Stanhope, in whose possession it remained until 1743. <br /> <br /> During the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 the castle was garrisoned by a small force of Hanoverian troops. The following year that force was increased to 59 officers and men. Around 1770 the estate was acquired by James Riddell and it remained in that family until 1848. Thereafter, the castle fell into ruin.