Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mallaig Railway, near Glenfinnan
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0376
PLACENAME
Glenfinnan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10116
KEYWORDS
Mallaig
West Highland Railway
Fort William
Glenfinnan Viaduct
Mallaig Railway, near Glenfinnan

This photograph of the Mallaig railway, probably near Glenfinnan, was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. The West Highland Extension Railway was opened in 1901. Running from Fort William to Mallaig, the line was built to link with ferry services to the Western Isles and to encourage the development of the fishing industry. One of the largest structures on the line is the Glenfinnan Viaduct, measuring over 1200 ft in length with 21 arches, the tallest of which is 100 ft high.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mallaig Railway, near Glenfinnan

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

20c

Mallaig; West Highland Railway; Fort William; Glenfinnan Viaduct

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph of the Mallaig railway, probably near Glenfinnan, was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. The West Highland Extension Railway was opened in 1901. Running from Fort William to Mallaig, the line was built to link with ferry services to the Western Isles and to encourage the development of the fishing industry. One of the largest structures on the line is the Glenfinnan Viaduct, measuring over 1200 ft in length with 21 arches, the tallest of which is 100 ft high.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.