Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Medieval Chapel, Kilmory, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0395
PLACENAME
Kilmory
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10158
KEYWORDS
MacMillan Cross
Kilmory
chapels
crosses
Castle Sween
Alexander MacMillan
cross
chapel
Medieval Chapel, Kilmory, Knapdale

The ruined medieval chapel of Kilmory is situated between Loch Caolisport and Loch Sween on the Knapdale Peninsula. The chapel now houses many examples of carved grave slabs dating from the 14th to the 16th centuries, including the MacMillan Cross. This photograph of the chapel and graveyard dates from the first half of the 20th century.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Medieval Chapel, Kilmory, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

20c

MacMillan Cross; Kilmory; chapels; crosses; Castle Sween; Alexander MacMillan; cross; chapel

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The ruined medieval chapel of Kilmory is situated between Loch Caolisport and Loch Sween on the Knapdale Peninsula. The chapel now houses many examples of carved grave slabs dating from the 14th to the 16th centuries, including the MacMillan Cross. This photograph of the chapel and graveyard dates from the first half of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.