Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Columba's Cave and Chapel, Knapdale
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0421
PLACENAME
Ellary
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: South Knapdale
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10211
KEYWORDS
ruins
caves
cave
St Columba's Cave
Knapdale
Dunadd
St Columba's Chapel
St Columba
crosses
cross
altars
altar
St Columba's Cave and Chapel, Knapdale

There is a strong tradition that St Columba came to Knapdale on his way to Dunadd and Iona. This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century, shows the ruins of St Columba's Chapel on the shores of Loch Caolisport, between Cove and Ellary. The entrance to St Columba's Cave can be seen on to the left of the chapel ruins.

The cave has a raised shelf on its east side on top of which is built a drystone altar with carved Christian crosses above. Excavations carried out since the late 1950s have produced evidence of occupation over a long period. A large flagstone, on the north side of the chapel ruins, may have served as a doorstep for entrance into the cave.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Columba's Cave and Chapel, Knapdale

ARGYLL: South Knapdale

20c

ruins; caves; cave; St Columba's Cave; Knapdale; Dunadd; St Columba's Chapel; St Columba; crosses; cross; altars; altar

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

There is a strong tradition that St Columba came to Knapdale on his way to Dunadd and Iona. This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century, shows the ruins of St Columba's Chapel on the shores of Loch Caolisport, between Cove and Ellary. The entrance to St Columba's Cave can be seen on to the left of the chapel ruins.<br /> <br /> The cave has a raised shelf on its east side on top of which is built a drystone altar with carved Christian crosses above. Excavations carried out since the late 1950s have produced evidence of occupation over a long period. A large flagstone, on the north side of the chapel ruins, may have served as a doorstep for entrance into the cave. <br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.