Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Entrance to Portree harbour, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0446
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10273
KEYWORDS
Portree
harbours
Skye
steamers
boats
Telford
Kiltaraglen
harbour
steamer
boat
Entrance to Portree harbour, Skye

This photograph shows the entrance to Portree harbour, on the island of Skye. It was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Portree is built on the edge of the sheltered bay which faces eastwards over the Sound of Raasay. It was originally named Kiltaraglen but was renamed Port Rìgh (King's Harbour) after a visit by James V in 1540. In the 1820s Thomas Telford built roads linking Portree to Uig and Kyleakin as well as building Portree's pier. From 1826, Portree harbour had steamers from West Loch Tarbert via Tobermory, Isle Ornsay and Kyleakin and from 1851 the weekly ship from Glasgow to Stornoway also called in.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Entrance to Portree harbour, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

20c

Portree; harbours; Skye; steamers; boats; Telford; Kiltaraglen; harbour; steamer; boat

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph shows the entrance to Portree harbour, on the island of Skye. It was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson. <br /> <br /> Portree is built on the edge of the sheltered bay which faces eastwards over the Sound of Raasay. It was originally named Kiltaraglen but was renamed Port Rìgh (King's Harbour) after a visit by James V in 1540. In the 1820s Thomas Telford built roads linking Portree to Uig and Kyleakin as well as building Portree's pier. From 1826, Portree harbour had steamers from West Loch Tarbert via Tobermory, Isle Ornsay and Kyleakin and from 1851 the weekly ship from Glasgow to Stornoway also called in.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.