Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Statue of Cameron of Lochiel, Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0460
PLACENAME
Fort William
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10294
KEYWORDS
Highlanders
statues
churches
statue
church
Statue of Cameron of Lochiel, Fort William

This bronze statue of Cameron of Lochiel was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. It stands near St. Andrew's Church. Fort William and was erected in 1909.

The inscription on the base of the statue, in Gaelic on one side and English on the other, reads, "Donald Cameron of Locheil XXIV Chief of the Clan. Lord Lieutenant, Convenor and for many years Representative in Parliameent of the County of Inverness. Born 1855 died 1905. Erected by clansmen and friends in token of their devotion, respect and admiration.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Statue of Cameron of Lochiel, Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

20c

Highlanders; statues; churches; statue; church

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This bronze statue of Cameron of Lochiel was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. It stands near St. Andrew's Church. Fort William and was erected in 1909.<br /> <br /> The inscription on the base of the statue, in Gaelic on one side and English on the other, reads, "Donald Cameron of Locheil XXIV Chief of the Clan. Lord Lieutenant, Convenor and for many years Representative in Parliameent of the County of Inverness. Born 1855 died 1905. Erected by clansmen and friends in token of their devotion, respect and admiration.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.