Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Blackadder Aisle, Glasgow Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0560
PLACENAME
Glasgow
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10479
KEYWORDS
Blacader Aisle
Blackadder Aisle
crypts
St Ninian
Glasgow Cathedral
crypt
Blackadder Aisle, Glasgow Cathedral

The Blacader (Blackadder) Aisle or Crypt in Glasgow Cathedral is said to occupy the site of a cemetery consecrated by St Ninian, at the beginning of 5th century. Built by Archbishop Blacader in the 15th century, it is one of the many later additions to the mainly 13th century building. This photograph of the crypt was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Blackadder Aisle, Glasgow Cathedral

20c

Blacader Aisle; Blackadder Aisle; crypts; St Ninian; Glasgow Cathedral; crypt

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The Blacader (Blackadder) Aisle or Crypt in Glasgow Cathedral is said to occupy the site of a cemetery consecrated by St Ninian, at the beginning of 5th century. Built by Archbishop Blacader in the 15th century, it is one of the many later additions to the mainly 13th century building. This photograph of the crypt was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.