Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Invergarry Castle, Loch Oich
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0617
PLACENAME
Invergarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10535
KEYWORDS
Invergarry Castle
castles
Loch Oich
General Monck
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Jacobites
Duke of Cumberland
castle
Jacobite
Invergarry Castle, Loch Oich

Invergarry Castle stands about half a mile east of Invergarry on the shores of Loch Oich, Inverness-shire. This view of the castle ruins, from across the loch, was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

The castle dates from the early 17th century when it was built as a stronghold of the MacDonnell clan. It was burned by General Monck in 1654 but was rebuilt and fortified. It changed hands during the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion and was visited by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the 1745 Rebellion. In 1746, the castle was destroyed by the Duke of Cumberland's forces and was never rebuilt.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Invergarry Castle, Loch Oich

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

20c

Invergarry Castle; castles; Loch Oich; General Monck; Bonnie Prince Charlie; Jacobites; Duke of Cumberland; castle; Jacobite

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Invergarry Castle stands about half a mile east of Invergarry on the shores of Loch Oich, Inverness-shire. This view of the castle ruins, from across the loch, was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> The castle dates from the early 17th century when it was built as a stronghold of the MacDonnell clan. It was burned by General Monck in 1654 but was rebuilt and fortified. It changed hands during the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion and was visited by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the 1745 Rebellion. In 1746, the castle was destroyed by the Duke of Cumberland's forces and was never rebuilt.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.