Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achara House, Duror
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0637
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10550
KEYWORDS
villages
hotels
buildings
Jacobites
place names
Achara House, Duror

Achara House in Duror derives its name from the Gaelic for 'field of the monument' as there is a standing stone in a field nearby. The house was remodelled in 1907 from an existing 19th-century farmhouse belonging to the Stewarts of Ardsheal. It is a family tradition that the architect was Sir Robert Lormier and that he met Charles Stewart at Ardkinglas and drew the design on a napkin.

The crow-stepped entrance block, seen to the right of the building, was demolished in the late 1960s and remodelled by Leslie Grahame MacDougall.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achara House, Duror

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

20c

villages; hotels; buildings; Jacobites; place names

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Achara House in Duror derives its name from the Gaelic for 'field of the monument' as there is a standing stone in a field nearby. The house was remodelled in 1907 from an existing 19th-century farmhouse belonging to the Stewarts of Ardsheal. It is a family tradition that the architect was Sir Robert Lormier and that he met Charles Stewart at Ardkinglas and drew the design on a napkin.<br /> <br /> The crow-stepped entrance block, seen to the right of the building, was demolished in the late 1960s and remodelled by Leslie Grahame MacDougall.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.