Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cross on Inishail, Loch Awe
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0669
PLACENAME
Inishail
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10581
KEYWORDS
islands
churches
crosses
burial grounds
Christianity
Cross on Inishail, Loch Awe

Inishail is a small island at the north end of Loch Awe, opposite the village of Ardanaiseig. An early Christian settlement was established on the island in the 10th century. The parish of Inishail was centred on the island until the parish church was moved to Cladich in the 18th century. The island also has a burial ground which contains the graves of many members of the MacArthur clan. The 12th Duke of Argyll was also buried there after his death in April 2001.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cross on Inishail, Loch Awe

ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail

20c

islands; churches; crosses; burial grounds; Christianity

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Inishail is a small island at the north end of Loch Awe, opposite the village of Ardanaiseig. An early Christian settlement was established on the island in the 10th century. The parish of Inishail was centred on the island until the parish church was moved to Cladich in the 18th century. The island also has a burial ground which contains the graves of many members of the MacArthur clan. The 12th Duke of Argyll was also buried there after his death in April 2001.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.