Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mingarry Castle
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0672
PLACENAME
Kilchoan
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10584
KEYWORDS
castles
clans
buildings
peninsulas
Mingarry Castle

Mingary Castle stands on a promontory about a mile southeast of Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. Its strategic position overlooks both Loch Sunart and the island of Mull. The castle dates from the 13th century and the walls of the irregular hexagonal shape were up to 9 feet thick and about 39 feet high. The main entrance was on the seaward side but a drawbridge spanning a defensive ditch provided an additional entrance. The castle had additional building work done between the 16th and 18th centuries.

Mingary Castle was originally the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds. James the IV occupied the castle while trying to subdue the MacIans in the 15th century. The castle passed between the MacIans, the Campbells and the Covenanters before being given to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell in 1696. The castle was still habitable up until the 1830s but it is not known when it was abandoned and it became a ruin.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mingarry Castle

ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan

20c

castles; clans; buildings; peninsulas

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Mingary Castle stands on a promontory about a mile southeast of Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. Its strategic position overlooks both Loch Sunart and the island of Mull. The castle dates from the 13th century and the walls of the irregular hexagonal shape were up to 9 feet thick and about 39 feet high. The main entrance was on the seaward side but a drawbridge spanning a defensive ditch provided an additional entrance. The castle had additional building work done between the 16th and 18th centuries.<br /> <br /> Mingary Castle was originally the seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan, a sept of the MacDonalds. James the IV occupied the castle while trying to subdue the MacIans in the 15th century. The castle passed between the MacIans, the Campbells and the Covenanters before being given to Alexander Campbell of Lochnell in 1696. The castle was still habitable up until the 1830s but it is not known when it was abandoned and it became a ruin.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.