Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mingary Castle and Bein na Seilg
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0681
PLACENAME
Kilchoan
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10592
KEYWORDS
castles
shores
buildings
hills
clans
coast
coasts
Mingary Castle and Bein na Seilg

Mingary Castle is found a mile south east of Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The castle was built on a promontory overlooking the entrance to Loch Sunart and the island of Mull in the 13th century with further building work taking place between the 16th and 18th centuries. The main entrance is on the seaward side but the ditch on the landward side was once spanned by a drawbridge to provide a second entrance.

The castle was originally a seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan. It was later used by James IV to suppress the MacDonald Lords of the Isles and was a garrison for government troops during the 1745 Jacobite rising. The castle was probably inhabitable until the 1840s but has now fallen into ruin.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mingary Castle and Bein na Seilg

ARGYLL: Ardnamurchan

20c

castles; shores; buildings; hills; clans; coast; coasts

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Mingary Castle is found a mile south east of Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. The castle was built on a promontory overlooking the entrance to Loch Sunart and the island of Mull in the 13th century with further building work taking place between the 16th and 18th centuries. The main entrance is on the seaward side but the ditch on the landward side was once spanned by a drawbridge to provide a second entrance. <br /> <br /> The castle was originally a seat of the MacIans of Ardnamurchan. It was later used by James IV to suppress the MacDonald Lords of the Isles and was a garrison for government troops during the 1745 Jacobite rising. The castle was probably inhabitable until the 1840s but has now fallen into ruin.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.