Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cathedral Cave, Eigg
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0691
PLACENAME
Cathedral Cave
DISTRICT
Eigg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Small Isles
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10598
KEYWORDS
caves
coasts
coast
churches
islands
the Disruption
Inner Hebrides
Small Isles
Cathedral Cave, Eigg

The coastline of Eigg contains a number of caves carved out by the sea. One of those caves is Cathedral Cave. The roof of the cave is very high like a cathedral and it is also said to have been used for church services. In 1843 over 400 ministers left the Church of Scotland and formed the Free Church. The new Free Church ministers and congregations were not allowed to use Church of Scotland property and so services were held where there was available space. For the congregation on Eigg this meant the Cathedral Cave.

M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cathedral Cave, Eigg

INVERNESS: Small Isles

20c

caves; coasts; coast; churches; islands; the Disruption; Inner Hebrides; Small Isles

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The coastline of Eigg contains a number of caves carved out by the sea. One of those caves is Cathedral Cave. The roof of the cave is very high like a cathedral and it is also said to have been used for church services. In 1843 over 400 ministers left the Church of Scotland and formed the Free Church. The new Free Church ministers and congregations were not allowed to use Church of Scotland property and so services were held where there was available space. For the congregation on Eigg this meant the Cathedral Cave.<br /> <br /> M.E.M. Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.