Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ardtornish Castle from Loch Aline
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0743
PLACENAME
Ardtornish
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Morvern
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10645
KEYWORDS
castles
coast
coasts
lochs
MacDonalds
Ardtornish Castle from Loch Aline

Ardtornish Castle stands on a promontory which projects southwards into the Sound of Mull, approximately two kilometres southeast of the mouth of Loch Aline. Little is known of its early history but its style is characteristic of hall-houses erected in the 13th century. In the 15th century it was a stronghold of the Macdonald Lords of the Isles. By the early 16th century it had fallen into the hands of the Macleans and it was finally abandoned towards the end of the 17th century. This view of the castle was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ardtornish Castle from Loch Aline

ARGYLL: Morvern

20c

castles; coast; coasts; lochs; MacDonalds

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Ardtornish Castle stands on a promontory which projects southwards into the Sound of Mull, approximately two kilometres southeast of the mouth of Loch Aline. Little is known of its early history but its style is characteristic of hall-houses erected in the 13th century. In the 15th century it was a stronghold of the Macdonald Lords of the Isles. By the early 16th century it had fallen into the hands of the Macleans and it was finally abandoned towards the end of the 17th century. This view of the castle was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.