Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
East face of St Martin's Cross, Iona
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0781
PLACENAME
Iona
DISTRICT
Mull
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10676
KEYWORDS
St Martin
carving
East face of St Martin's Cross, Iona

St Martin's Cross stands west of the main entrance to Iona Abbey. It would have been carved sometime between 700 and 800 and is still in its original position. Here, the east face of the cross is shown, carved with various serpents and circular bosses. At the time of the monastery's foundation in 563, crosses would have been made of wood. However, by the mid-8th century, the island had become a centre of artistic importance and free-standing masonry crosses like this one were being produced. This photograph was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

East face of St Martin's Cross, Iona

ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon

20c

St Martin; carving

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

St Martin's Cross stands west of the main entrance to Iona Abbey. It would have been carved sometime between 700 and 800 and is still in its original position. Here, the east face of the cross is shown, carved with various serpents and circular bosses. At the time of the monastery's foundation in 563, crosses would have been made of wood. However, by the mid-8th century, the island had become a centre of artistic importance and free-standing masonry crosses like this one were being produced. This photograph was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.