Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Maclean's Cross, Iona (west face)
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0786
PLACENAME
Iona
DISTRICT
Mull
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10680
KEYWORDS
crosses
cross
Iona Abbey
Jesus Christ
crucifixion
Maclean's Cross, Iona (west face)

Maclean's Cross stands on the west side of the road between the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery at Iona, probably in its original position. It dates from the 15th century and is a product of the Ionian school of sculpture. It was probably commissioned by a member of the Maclean clan. Here, the east face is shown, decorated with plaitwork, plant scrolls, animals, and a mounted warrior at the foot of the shaft. The main feature of the west face is a carving of the crucified Christ. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Maclean's Cross, Iona (west face)

ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon

20c

crosses; cross; Iona Abbey; Jesus Christ; crucifixion

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Maclean's Cross stands on the west side of the road between the Benedictine Abbey and Augustinian Nunnery at Iona, probably in its original position. It dates from the 15th century and is a product of the Ionian school of sculpture. It was probably commissioned by a member of the Maclean clan. Here, the east face is shown, decorated with plaitwork, plant scrolls, animals, and a mounted warrior at the foot of the shaft. The main feature of the west face is a carving of the crucified Christ. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.