Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cairn and standing stone, Kintraw
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0795
PLACENAME
Kintraw
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Craignish
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10688
KEYWORDS
cairn
standing stones
archaeology
archaeological sites
Cairn and standing stone, Kintraw

Kintraw lies at the mouth of the Bealach Mor, at the head of Loch Craignish, on the mid-Argyll coast. There are two cairns, a standing stone, and a possible enclosure at Kintraw, about 200 metres south-east of Kintraw farmhouse. There is a fine view down Loch Craignish from the site. The standing stone fell down during the winter of 1978 and was re-erected on a slightly different axis. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century, before the stone fell, and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cairn and standing stone, Kintraw

ARGYLL: Craignish

20c

cairn; standing stones; archaeology; archaeological sites

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Kintraw lies at the mouth of the Bealach Mor, at the head of Loch Craignish, on the mid-Argyll coast. There are two cairns, a standing stone, and a possible enclosure at Kintraw, about 200 metres south-east of Kintraw farmhouse. There is a fine view down Loch Craignish from the site. The standing stone fell down during the winter of 1978 and was re-erected on a slightly different axis. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century, before the stone fell, and was taken by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.