Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Standing stone, Torran, Loch Awe
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0798
PLACENAME
Torran
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmartin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10691
KEYWORDS
standing stones
crosses
cup-marks
archaeology
archaeological sites
carving
Standing stone, Torran, Loch Awe

This massive standing stone lies 50 metres east of Torran farmhouse, at the eastern end of Loch Awe, Argyll. It rises to a height of 3.3 metres. The northwest face (shown here) bears a lightly incised cross. There is a cup-mark on the right-hand limb of the cross. The photograph was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Standing stone, Torran, Loch Awe

ARGYLL: Kilmartin

20c

standing stones; crosses; cup-marks; archaeology; archaeological sites; carving

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This massive standing stone lies 50 metres east of Torran farmhouse, at the eastern end of Loch Awe, Argyll. It rises to a height of 3.3 metres. The northwest face (shown here) bears a lightly incised cross. There is a cup-mark on the right-hand limb of the cross. The photograph was taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.