Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge at Glenbeg, by Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0812
PLACENAME
Glenbeg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10702
KEYWORDS
social histories
droving
brochs
broch
photograph
bridges
villages
glens
rivers
Bridge at Glenbeg, by Glenelg

This bridge over a river, with wooded banks, was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. The location is possibly Glenbeg by Glenelg.

Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn, with one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well known as the location of two well-preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge at Glenbeg, by Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

20c

social histories; droving; brochs; broch; photograph; bridges; villages; glens; rivers

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This bridge over a river, with wooded banks, was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. The location is possibly Glenbeg by Glenelg. <br /> <br /> Glenelg is a small village on the shore of Glenelg Bay, looking across to the Isle of Skye. It is bound on three sides by Loch Duich, the Sound of Sleat and Loch Hourn, with one access road over Mam Ratagan from Glen Shiel. Known until the 18th century as Kirkton, the village grew up round a parish church, and expanded with the arrival of the army and the building of the Bernera Barracks in 1717. The village is well known as the location of two well-preserved Iron Age brochs, and was once the main crossing point for cattle droves from Skye to the mainland.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.