Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Campbell of Lerags Cross, near Kilbride
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0858
PLACENAME
Lerags
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10750
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
crosses
photograph
monument
monuments
sculpture
sculptures
Campbell of Lerags Cross, near Kilbride

This cross, known as Campbell of Lerags Cross, stands above the road to Lerags, just south of Oban, near Kilbride. It was re-erected on its present site in 1926, having lain in pieces in Kilbride Church for over 200 years. Carved from a single block of green schist, the cross was originally erected by Archibald Campbell of Lerags in 1516. This view of the cross was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.



Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban





This image can be purchased.

For further information about purchasing and prices please email the

Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Campbell of Lerags Cross, near Kilbride

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

20c

Highlands and Islands; social histories; crosses; photograph; monument; monuments; sculpture; sculptures

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This cross, known as Campbell of Lerags Cross, stands above the road to Lerags, just south of Oban, near Kilbride. It was re-erected on its present site in 1926, having lain in pieces in Kilbride Church for over 200 years. Carved from a single block of green schist, the cross was originally erected by Archibald Campbell of Lerags in 1516. This view of the cross was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> This image can be purchased.<br /><br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /><br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.