Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Oronsay Cross (east face)
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0906
PLACENAME
Oronsay Priory
DISTRICT
Jura and Colonsay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10800
KEYWORDS
social histories
Lords of the Isles
Augustinians
photograph
priories
Lordship of the Isles
sculpture
carving
inscription
inscriptions
Oronsay Cross (east face)

The Oronsay Cross, a late 15th century or early 16th century disc-headed cross, stands in the grounds of Oronsay Priory. It was erected for Colinus or Malcolm MacDuffie, Lord of Colonsay and chief of clan Duffie in the late 15th century. The Augustinian priory at Oronsay dates from the 14th century and was founded under the patronage of John I, Lord of the Isles. Intricately carved grave slabs and crosses were produced at Oronsay right up until the early 16th century.

The Oronsay Cross is one of the best preserved of all the West Highland crosses. Its east face (shown here) is carved with an eight-leaved foliated motif at the head, with roundels and intertwined plant stems on the shaft. The sculptor's name, Mael-Sechlainn O Cuinn, is inscribed in Latin in the socket stone at the base of the cross.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Oronsay Cross (east face)

ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay

20c

social histories; Lords of the Isles; Augustinians; photograph; priories; Lordship of the Isles; sculpture; carving; inscription; inscriptions

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The Oronsay Cross, a late 15th century or early 16th century disc-headed cross, stands in the grounds of Oronsay Priory. It was erected for Colinus or Malcolm MacDuffie, Lord of Colonsay and chief of clan Duffie in the late 15th century. The Augustinian priory at Oronsay dates from the 14th century and was founded under the patronage of John I, Lord of the Isles. Intricately carved grave slabs and crosses were produced at Oronsay right up until the early 16th century.<br /> <br /> The Oronsay Cross is one of the best preserved of all the West Highland crosses. Its east face (shown here) is carved with an eight-leaved foliated motif at the head, with roundels and intertwined plant stems on the shaft. The sculptor's name, Mael-Sechlainn O Cuinn, is inscribed in Latin in the socket stone at the base of the cross.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.