Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0963
PLACENAME
Arisaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
20th Century
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10851
KEYWORDS
social histories
poetry
photograph
churches
chapels
burial grounds
graveyard
graveyards
cemetery
cemeteries
bard
bards
saints
Roman Catholicism
St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

The old parish church and burial ground at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory, dates from no later than the 16th century and may be earlier. The chapel stands to the north of St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, completed in 1849. Alasdair MacMaighstir Alasdair, the great Gaelic poet, is buried in an unknown grave here. This view of the church was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

20th Century

social histories; poetry; photograph; churches; chapels; burial grounds; graveyard; graveyards; cemetery; cemeteries; bard; bards; saints; Roman Catholicism

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The old parish church and burial ground at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory, dates from no later than the 16th century and may be earlier. The chapel stands to the north of St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, completed in 1849. Alasdair MacMaighstir Alasdair, the great Gaelic poet, is buried in an unknown grave here. This view of the church was photographed in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson.<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.