Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Carved grave stone, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0974
PLACENAME
Arisaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
20th Century
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10860
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
grave stones
grave stones
photograph
burial grounds
graveyard
graveyards
cemetery
cemeteries
churches
chapels
sculpture
carving
Celtic church
Carved grave stone, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

This carved grave stone is in the burial ground of the old parish church at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory. It was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century.

The carved images on the stone's surface include a pair of hands clutching a Celtic cross and a sailing ship. The intertwined carved letters appear to be 'MAIRGML'

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Carved grave stone, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

20th Century

Highlands and Islands; social histories; grave stones; grave stones; photograph; burial grounds; graveyard; graveyards; cemetery; cemeteries; churches; chapels; sculpture; carving; Celtic church

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This carved grave stone is in the burial ground of the old parish church at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory. It was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. <br /> <br /> The carved images on the stone's surface include a pair of hands clutching a Celtic cross and a sailing ship. The intertwined carved letters appear to be 'MAIRGML'<br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.