Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverlochy Castle
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_0986
PLACENAME
Inverlochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
20th Century
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10872
KEYWORDS
social histories
Comyns
castles
Covenanters
Inverlochy Castle

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed on a low-lying site at the mouth of the River Lochy, commanding the entrance to the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyn lords of Lochaber and Badenoch. This photograph, taken from within the castle ruins, dates from the first half of the 20th century.

In 1645 the castle was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. By the 18th century, it was being used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.

Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverlochy Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

20th Century

social histories; Comyns; castles; Covenanters

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed on a low-lying site at the mouth of the River Lochy, commanding the entrance to the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyn lords of Lochaber and Badenoch. This photograph, taken from within the castle ruins, dates from the first half of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> In 1645 the castle was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. By the 18th century, it was being used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. One of her favourite locations was the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and it was there she settled, at Sanna, in 1927.<br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1949 Miss Donaldson produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.