Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stewart of Appin gravestone, Appin
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1007
PLACENAME
Appin
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10894
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
churches
Stewarts of Appin
chapels
headstones
gravestone
gravestones
graves
graveyard
graveyards
cemetery
cemeteries
burial grounds
monuments
clans
Jacobite
Jacobites
Stewart of Appin gravestone, Appin

The old parish church at Appin, or Tynribbie, is a roofless, ivy-covered ruin. Built in 1749, the church superceded an earlier building dating from around 1641, which itself probably stood on the site of an earlier chapel known as Annat. This photograph shows an arched recess, on the west gable wall of the church, which contains the Stewart of Appin headstone. This stone formerly stood over the Stewart of Appin grave at Culloden and commemorates those of the clan who fell in the Battle of Culloden in 1746.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stewart of Appin gravestone, Appin

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

20c

Highlands and Islands; social histories; churches; Stewarts of Appin; chapels; headstones; gravestone; gravestones; graves; graveyard; graveyards; cemetery; cemeteries; burial grounds; monuments; clans; Jacobite; Jacobites

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The old parish church at Appin, or Tynribbie, is a roofless, ivy-covered ruin. Built in 1749, the church superceded an earlier building dating from around 1641, which itself probably stood on the site of an earlier chapel known as Annat. This photograph shows an arched recess, on the west gable wall of the church, which contains the Stewart of Appin headstone. This stone formerly stood over the Stewart of Appin grave at Culloden and commemorates those of the clan who fell in the Battle of Culloden in 1746.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.