Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Linnhe as seen from Appin
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1010
PLACENAME
Appin
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10897
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
Loch Linne
lochs
Loch Linnhe as seen from Appin

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows a view across Loch Linnhe from Appin.

Loch Linnhe, a large sea loch, separates the peninsulas of Morvern and Ardgour in the west from the districts of Appin, Benderloch and Lochaber in the east, and forms a southern extension to the Great Glen. At its northern end is Fort William and the entrance to the Caledonian Canal.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Linnhe as seen from Appin

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

20c

Highlands and Islands; social histories; Loch Linne; lochs

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This photograph, taken in the first half of the 20th century by M.E.M. Donaldson, shows a view across Loch Linnhe from Appin.<br /> <br /> Loch Linnhe, a large sea loch, separates the peninsulas of Morvern and Ardgour in the west from the districts of Appin, Benderloch and Lochaber in the east, and forms a southern extension to the Great Glen. At its northern end is Fort William and the entrance to the Caledonian Canal.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.