Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Stalker, Loch Laich, Appin
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1012
PLACENAME
Appin
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10898
KEYWORDS
social histories
Loch Linne
castles
tower houses
lochs
clans
Jacobite
Jacobites
Castle Stalker, Loch Laich, Appin

Castle Stalker, a three-storey tower house, sits on a small islet at the mouth of Loch Liach, by Loch Linnhe. It was probably constructed in the mid-16th century for the Stewarts of Appin although there may have been a fortification on the site as early as the 14th century.

The castle has changed hands several times and was famously lost in a gamble to the Campbells in 1620. After the battle of Dunkeld (1689) the castle was forfeited to the Crown as a result of the Stewarts' support for James VII and II. During the '45 it was used as a government army garrison. By 1830 the castle was abandoned and roofless but in the 1960s it was carefully restored by the late Lt. Col. Stewart Allward. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and shows the castle before its restoration.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Stalker, Loch Laich, Appin

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

20c

social histories; Loch Linne; castles; tower houses; lochs; clans; Jacobite; Jacobites

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Castle Stalker, a three-storey tower house, sits on a small islet at the mouth of Loch Liach, by Loch Linnhe. It was probably constructed in the mid-16th century for the Stewarts of Appin although there may have been a fortification on the site as early as the 14th century. <br /> <br /> The castle has changed hands several times and was famously lost in a gamble to the Campbells in 1620. After the battle of Dunkeld (1689) the castle was forfeited to the Crown as a result of the Stewarts' support for James VII and II. During the '45 it was used as a government army garrison. By 1830 the castle was abandoned and roofless but in the 1960s it was carefully restored by the late Lt. Col. Stewart Allward. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and shows the castle before its restoration. <br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the area. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958 and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.