Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Boats moored at Bellanoch, Crinan Canal
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1016
PLACENAME
Bellanoch
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: North Knapdale
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10902
KEYWORDS
social histories
canals
hamlets
Boats moored at Bellanoch, Crinan Canal

The township of Bellanoch is located on the south west side of the Crinan Canal, 3 km south east of Crinan village. This photograph shows boats moored at the canal basin at Bellanoch in the first half of the 20th century.

Designed by John Rennie, the Crinan Canal opened in 1801. The nine-mile long canal linked Ardrishaig and Crinan and allowed the Loch Fyne and Clyde fishing fleets access to the Sound of Jura without having to sail around the Mull of Kintyre. The canal was also used by the domestic steamer routes between Inverness, Glasgow and Oban.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Boats moored at Bellanoch, Crinan Canal

ARGYLL: North Knapdale

20c

social histories; canals; hamlets

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The township of Bellanoch is located on the south west side of the Crinan Canal, 3 km south east of Crinan village. This photograph shows boats moored at the canal basin at Bellanoch in the first half of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> Designed by John Rennie, the Crinan Canal opened in 1801. The nine-mile long canal linked Ardrishaig and Crinan and allowed the Loch Fyne and Clyde fishing fleets access to the Sound of Jura without having to sail around the Mull of Kintyre. The canal was also used by the domestic steamer routes between Inverness, Glasgow and Oban.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.