Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Causeway at Duntrune Castle, Loch Crinan
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1020
PLACENAME
Duntrune Castle
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmartin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10906
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
castles
tower houses
dwelling
dwellings
residence
residences
homes
causeways
lochs
Causeway at Duntrune Castle, Loch Crinan

Duntrune Castle stands on a rocky promontory on the shores of Loch Crinan, on the west coast of Argyll. It is of a typical tower house design dating from around 1600 although the castle enclosure is much earlier, dating from the 13th century. This photograph shows the causeway from the castle to a low rocky spit used as a boat landing for the castle in favourable weather.

The castle was renovated by the Malcolms of Poltalloch around 1796. Further repairs and alterations were undertaken in the 1830s. The Malcolm family moved to the newly-built Poltalloch House in 1853 but returned to Duntrune in the 1950s after further modernisations to the building. The castle is still used as a family home.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Causeway at Duntrune Castle, Loch Crinan

ARGYLL: Kilmartin

20c

Highlands and Islands; social histories; castles; tower houses; dwelling; dwellings; residence; residences; homes; causeways; lochs

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

Duntrune Castle stands on a rocky promontory on the shores of Loch Crinan, on the west coast of Argyll. It is of a typical tower house design dating from around 1600 although the castle enclosure is much earlier, dating from the 13th century. This photograph shows the causeway from the castle to a low rocky spit used as a boat landing for the castle in favourable weather.<br /> <br /> The castle was renovated by the Malcolms of Poltalloch around 1796. Further repairs and alterations were undertaken in the 1830s. The Malcolm family moved to the newly-built Poltalloch House in 1853 but returned to Duntrune in the 1950s after further modernisations to the building. The castle is still used as a family home.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.