Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sculptured cross at Kilmartin
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1021
PLACENAME
Kilmartin
DISTRICT
Mid Argyll
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmartin
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10907
KEYWORDS
Highlands and Islands
social histories
crosses
crucifixion
sculpture
carvings
churchyards
Sculptured cross at Kilmartin

This medieval sculptured cross shaft originally stood in the churchyard at Kilmartin, Argyll, but has now been removed to within the church itself. On the face of the cross is the figure of the crucified Christ. The cross, which has no inscription, belongs to the 'Loch Awe' branch of West Highland style of stone carving. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and shows the cross in its original setting, before it was moved.

The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sculptured cross at Kilmartin

ARGYLL: Kilmartin

20c

Highlands and Islands; social histories; crosses; crucifixion; sculpture; carvings; churchyards

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

This medieval sculptured cross shaft originally stood in the churchyard at Kilmartin, Argyll, but has now been removed to within the church itself. On the face of the cross is the figure of the crucified Christ. The cross, which has no inscription, belongs to the 'Loch Awe' branch of West Highland style of stone carving. This photograph dates from the first half of the 20th century and shows the cross in its original setting, before it was moved.<br /> <br /> The photographer, Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson, was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.