Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Graveslab, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_859_20_1092
PLACENAME
Arisaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
20c
CREATOR
M E M Donaldson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
10968
KEYWORDS
social histories
graveslabs
chapels
churches
burial grounds
graveyard
graveyards
cemetery
cemeteries
gravestone
gravestones
Celtic church
saints
Graveslab, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

The old parish church and burial ground at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory, dates from no later than the 16th century and may be earlier. The chapel stands to the north of St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, completed in 1849. This carved graveslab in the chapel ruins was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century.

Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Graveslab, St Maelrubha's Chapel, Arisaig

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

20c

social histories; graveslabs; chapels; churches; burial grounds; graveyard; graveyards; cemetery; cemeteries; gravestone; gravestones; Celtic church; saints

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

M E M Donaldson Collection

The old parish church and burial ground at Arisaig, also known as St Maelrubha's Chapel or the ancient church of Cill Mha'ru or Kilmory, dates from no later than the 16th century and may be earlier. The chapel stands to the north of St Mary's Roman Catholic Church, completed in 1849. This carved graveslab in the chapel ruins was photographed by M.E.M. Donaldson in the first half of the 20th century. <br /> <br /> Mary Ethel Muir Donaldson was born in 1876 and came to the Highlands around 1908. She travelled extensively around the North and West Highlands, writing and taking photographs. Between 1912 and 1949 she produced many books on the social history and customs of the North and West Highlands. 'Wanderings in the Western Highlands and Islands' and 'Further Wanderings - Mainly in Argyll' are two of her best known works and both are illustrated with her own photographs. She died in a nursing home in Edinburgh in 1958, and was buried in Oban <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.