Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Longman Aerodrome, 1936
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_981_P_19_36
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1936
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Sandy McLaren or Hector Paterson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11006
KEYWORDS
airfields
airports
aerodromes
aerial photographs
aerial photography
Captain Ted Fresson
Highland Airways
The Longman Aerodrome, 1936

This photograph shows the Longman Municipal Aerodrome in Inverness as it was in 1936.

It was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland on 17 June 1933 although Highland Airways' scheduled flights to Wick and Kirkwall had begun the previous month.

Three wooden aircraft hangars can be seen at the far end of the field and there are two closely-mown cross runways. The Air Ministry requisitioned the site at the outbreak of World War II and by the end of the War it was considered too small for commercial aircraft. All operations were moved to Dalcross which was renamed Inverness Airport in 1947.

At the time of writing (2009) the Longman Aerodrome site is occupied by Moray Firth Maltings.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Longman Aerodrome, 1936

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

airfields; airports; aerodromes; aerial photographs; aerial photography; Captain Ted Fresson; Highland Airways

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Airports & Aircraft

This photograph shows the Longman Municipal Aerodrome in Inverness as it was in 1936.<br /> <br /> It was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland on 17 June 1933 although Highland Airways' scheduled flights to Wick and Kirkwall had begun the previous month.<br /> <br /> Three wooden aircraft hangars can be seen at the far end of the field and there are two closely-mown cross runways. The Air Ministry requisitioned the site at the outbreak of World War II and by the end of the War it was considered too small for commercial aircraft. All operations were moved to Dalcross which was renamed Inverness Airport in 1947.<br /> <br /> At the time of writing (2009) the Longman Aerodrome site is occupied by Moray Firth Maltings. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.