Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two schooners blocking the Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_011
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2 April 1881
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11053
KEYWORDS
Inverness
schooners
Caledonian Canal
canals
waterways
transport
Thomas Telford
Two schooners blocking the Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry, Inverness

On 2 April 1881, two schooners became jammed together when entering the sea-lock at Clachnaharry. They became wrecked as the tide receded and soon sank. “Regent” was carrying coal from Warkworth, in Northumberland, to Inverness while “Progress” was taking potatoes from Cromarty to Cardiff. Three weeks later they were raised and beached about 50 yards west of the entrance to the canal where they remained.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William, to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie.

Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47 at a cost, up to May 1849, of £1,311,270


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two schooners blocking the Caledonian Canal, Clachnaharry, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1880s

Inverness; schooners; Caledonian Canal; canals; waterways; transport; Thomas Telford

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

On 2 April 1881, two schooners became jammed together when entering the sea-lock at Clachnaharry. They became wrecked as the tide receded and soon sank. “Regent” was carrying coal from Warkworth, in Northumberland, to Inverness while “Progress” was taking potatoes from Cromarty to Cardiff. Three weeks later they were raised and beached about 50 yards west of the entrance to the canal where they remained.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William, to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie. <br /> <br /> Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47 at a cost, up to May 1849, of £1,311,270 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.