Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caledonian Canal, Inverness, c.1884
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_012
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1884
PERIOD
1880s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11054
KEYWORDS
Inverness
Muirton
ships
Caledonian Canal
canals
waterways
transport
Thomas Telford
Caledonian Canal, Inverness, c.1884

A view of the Caledonian Canal, Muirtown, Inverness, c. 1884. The ship in the foreground is the 'Margaret Reid'.

The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47 at a cost, up to May 1849, of £1,311,270.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caledonian Canal, Inverness, c.1884

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1880s

Inverness; Muirton; ships; Caledonian Canal; canals; waterways; transport; Thomas Telford

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

A view of the Caledonian Canal, Muirtown, Inverness, c. 1884. The ship in the foreground is the 'Margaret Reid'.<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal connects Corpach, near Fort William to Clachnaharry, Inverness and is approximately 60 miles long. It was built wide enough in places to accommodate Royal Navy gun frigates during the Napoleonic Wars. Ships were able to avoid the stormy Pentland Firth and the French fleet. Much of the canal's length is taken up with existing lochs - Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. There are 29 locks in the canal including 'Neptune's Staircase', a series of 8 locks at Banavie. Designs for the canal were prepared as early as 1773 by James Watt but work was not begun until 1803 by which time the designers were Jessop and Telford. Partially opened in 1822, the canal was finally completed in 1843-47 at a cost, up to May 1849, of £1,311,270. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.