Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_042
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
14 July 1893
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11081
KEYWORDS
Cameron monument
Inverness
Station Square
Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
campaigns
Egypt
Sudan
G. Wade
sphinx
Clan Cameron Highlight
Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893

The photograph shows the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Station Square, Inverness on 14th July 1893, just after its unveiling by Donald Cameron of Lochiel, Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire, and Chief of Clan Cameron. Lochiel can be seen, a white-bearded figure to the left of the memorial.

The troops in the foreground, distinguishable by their feather bonnets, are the staff and recruits from the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at Cameron Barracks, under command of Major J M Hunt, who stands on the extreme right of the picture. On the far side of Station Square are men of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Cameron Highlanders, with their officers on the right of the photograph recognisable by their white goatskin sporrans. Detachments of the 2nd (Militia) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and the Highland Artillery Volunteers were also present.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George.)


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

Cameron monument; Inverness; Station Square; Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders; campaigns; Egypt; Sudan; G. Wade; sphinx; Clan Cameron Highlight

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The photograph shows the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Station Square, Inverness on 14th July 1893, just after its unveiling by Donald Cameron of Lochiel, Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire, and Chief of Clan Cameron. Lochiel can be seen, a white-bearded figure to the left of the memorial. <br /> <br /> The troops in the foreground, distinguishable by their feather bonnets, are the staff and recruits from the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders at Cameron Barracks, under command of Major J M Hunt, who stands on the extreme right of the picture. On the far side of Station Square are men of the 1st Volunteer Battalion Cameron Highlanders, with their officers on the right of the photograph recognisable by their white goatskin sporrans. Detachments of the 2nd (Militia) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and the Highland Artillery Volunteers were also present.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George.) <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.