Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers, C 1870
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_043
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1870
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11082
KEYWORDS
Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers
1st Administrative Battalion Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers
The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers, C 1870

The Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers were originally raised in 1859-69 as ten independent companies, although grouped together for administrative purposes as the 1st Administrative Battalion, with its Headquarters at Inverness. From 1863 all the companies adopted Elcho grey doublets, but they had the options of wearing the kilt or trews, and a choice of tartan. The 1st Inverness Company were the only Corps to adopt trews. This photograph of the Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers in about 1870, wearing Government or 42nd tartan trews, suggests that the Band was formed mainly from the 1st Inverness Company. It may have been recruited from the Inverness Town Band, which existed for many years.
After the Army Reforms of 1881 the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers became an integral part of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, and in 1893 were authorised to adopt the dress and tartan of the Cameron Highlanders. In the Army Reforms of 1908 they became the 4th (Territorial) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, and the Battalion mobilised in 1914 with the Territorial Force, going to France as part of the 51st Highland Territorial Division.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers, C 1870

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers; 1st Administrative Battalion Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers; The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers were originally raised in 1859-69 as ten independent companies, although grouped together for administrative purposes as the 1st Administrative Battalion, with its Headquarters at Inverness. From 1863 all the companies adopted Elcho grey doublets, but they had the options of wearing the kilt or trews, and a choice of tartan. The 1st Inverness Company were the only Corps to adopt trews. This photograph of the Band of the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers in about 1870, wearing Government or 42nd tartan trews, suggests that the Band was formed mainly from the 1st Inverness Company. It may have been recruited from the Inverness Town Band, which existed for many years. <br /> After the Army Reforms of 1881 the Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers became an integral part of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, and in 1893 were authorised to adopt the dress and tartan of the Cameron Highlanders. In the Army Reforms of 1908 they became the 4th (Territorial) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, and the Battalion mobilised in 1914 with the Territorial Force, going to France as part of the 51st Highland Territorial Division. <br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.