Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_044
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
14 July 1893
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11083
KEYWORDS
Cameron monument
Inverness
Station Square
Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
campaigns
Egypt
Sudan
G. Wade
Station Hotel
Railway Stations
Clan Cameron Highlight
Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893

On the Centenary of the raising of the 79th Cameron Highlanders in 1793, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders decided to erect a Regimental Memorial at Inverness. The Memorial was to commemorate Cameron Highlanders who had died on service abroad since Inverness became the home of the Regiment under the Army Reforms of 1881. Before the modern re-development of the Eastgate, the focal point of Inverness was the Railway Station, where the great majority of visitors to the town arrived. The Provost in 1893 was Alexander Ross, the distinguished architect, and he and the Town Council selected the prominent site for the Memorial in Station Square. The Directors of the Highland Railway gifted the ground. The statue was carved from Portland Stone by the London sculptor Mr George Wade, and local craftsmen made the pedestal and base.

The photograph shows the unveiling of the Memorial on 14th July 1893 by Donald Cameron of Lochiel, Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire, and Chief of Clan Cameron. After Lochiel's stirring address, the Officer Commanding the Regimental Depot, Major JM Hunt, handed over the Memorial to the Provost and Magistrates 'into their custody for all time to come'. In 1993, on the Bicentenary of The Cameron Highlanders, the Inverness District Council refurbished the statue. The eroded names were re-carved, and the railings around the Memorial restored.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Unveiling the Cameron Highlanders Memorial in Inverness, 1893

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

Cameron monument; Inverness; Station Square; Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders; campaigns; Egypt; Sudan; G. Wade; Station Hotel; Railway Stations; Clan Cameron Highlight

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

On the Centenary of the raising of the 79th Cameron Highlanders in 1793, The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders decided to erect a Regimental Memorial at Inverness. The Memorial was to commemorate Cameron Highlanders who had died on service abroad since Inverness became the home of the Regiment under the Army Reforms of 1881. Before the modern re-development of the Eastgate, the focal point of Inverness was the Railway Station, where the great majority of visitors to the town arrived. The Provost in 1893 was Alexander Ross, the distinguished architect, and he and the Town Council selected the prominent site for the Memorial in Station Square. The Directors of the Highland Railway gifted the ground. The statue was carved from Portland Stone by the London sculptor Mr George Wade, and local craftsmen made the pedestal and base. <br /> <br /> The photograph shows the unveiling of the Memorial on 14th July 1893 by Donald Cameron of Lochiel, Lord Lieutenant of Inverness-shire, and Chief of Clan Cameron. After Lochiel's stirring address, the Officer Commanding the Regimental Depot, Major JM Hunt, handed over the Memorial to the Provost and Magistrates 'into their custody for all time to come'. In 1993, on the Bicentenary of The Cameron Highlanders, the Inverness District Council refurbished the statue. The eroded names were re-carved, and the railings around the Memorial restored.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.