Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ness Islands Suspension bridge, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_054
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11091
KEYWORDS
suspension bridges
Bught
Ness Islands
beauty spots
Inverness
River Ness
fishermen
General's Well
General Macintyre
Bught House
Ness Islands Suspension bridge, Inverness

The photograph shows a suspension bridge, dating from 1853, connecting the Bught area to the Ness Islands in Inverness.The bridge replaced an older bridge which was washed away in the great flood of 1849.

The Ness Islands are an attractive recreation ground for the people of Inverness, separated from the town by a narrow branch of the River Ness. Prior to the construction of the first bridges which connected The Islands to the town, the beauty spot was only accessible by boat.

The photograph also shows a path leading to the Bught area, and fishermen can be seen sitting on what is known as The General's Well. Although it is not clear what the origins of the well are, the name could refer to a General MacIntyre who lived at Bught House in the 1800s


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ness Islands Suspension bridge, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s; 1900s; 1910s

suspension bridges; Bught; Ness Islands; beauty spots; Inverness; River Ness; fishermen; General's Well; General Macintyre; Bught House

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The photograph shows a suspension bridge, dating from 1853, connecting the Bught area to the Ness Islands in Inverness.The bridge replaced an older bridge which was washed away in the great flood of 1849. <br /> <br /> The Ness Islands are an attractive recreation ground for the people of Inverness, separated from the town by a narrow branch of the River Ness. Prior to the construction of the first bridges which connected The Islands to the town, the beauty spot was only accessible by boat. <br /> <br /> The photograph also shows a path leading to the Bught area, and fishermen can be seen sitting on what is known as The General's Well. Although it is not clear what the origins of the well are, the name could refer to a General MacIntyre who lived at Bught House in the 1800s <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.