Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Fire Brigade on Castle Street
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_096
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1880s; 1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11125
KEYWORDS
Inverness Fire Brigade
Castle Street
Noble & Dreghorn
fire engines
General Commisioners of the Police and Burgh
National Fire Service
fire fighters
Inverness Fire Brigade on Castle Street

Inverness Fire Brigade on Castle Street. The upholsterers, Noble & Dreghorn, can be seen on the left of the photograph.

Inverness Fire Brigade Establishment was first recorded in 1819. The North British Insurance Company, with their own funds, placed a fire engine in the town, the only engine in the North of Scotland. In 1850, the Fire Brigade was placed under the control of the General Commissioners of the Police and Burgh, but the fire fighters were still employed only part-time, being paid a retaining fee, and continuing in their normal jobs.
In 1941, the National Fire Service was formed, improving the conditions of service and the efficiency of the Fire Brigade


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Fire Brigade on Castle Street

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1880s; 1890s

Inverness Fire Brigade; Castle Street; Noble & Dreghorn; fire engines; General Commisioners of the Police and Burgh; National Fire Service; fire fighters

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Inverness Fire Brigade on Castle Street. The upholsterers, Noble & Dreghorn, can be seen on the left of the photograph.<br /> <br /> Inverness Fire Brigade Establishment was first recorded in 1819. The North British Insurance Company, with their own funds, placed a fire engine in the town, the only engine in the North of Scotland. In 1850, the Fire Brigade was placed under the control of the General Commissioners of the Police and Burgh, but the fire fighters were still employed only part-time, being paid a retaining fee, and continuing in their normal jobs.<br /> In 1941, the National Fire Service was formed, improving the conditions of service and the efficiency of the Fire Brigade <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.