Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St. John's, Church Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_3_III
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11134
KEYWORDS
St. John's Church
Church Street
William Robertson
Henry VII's Chapel in Westminster Abbey
St. Columba's Mission Chapel
Southside Road
St. John The Evangelist
St. John's, Church Street, Inverness

St. John's Church, situated on Church Street in Inverness, was opened in July 1838. Designed by William Robertson, the roof of the church was modelled on that of Henry VII's Chapel in Westminster Abbey. Costing well over £2000 to build, St. John's was demolished in 1903, although the tower still remained in Church Street until 1958.

After the demolition, the congregation transferred to St. Columba's Mission Chapel, on Southside Road. Some architectural changes were then made to the chapel to encompass various parts of the old St. John's Church. The chapel was renamed 'St. John The Evangelist'


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St. John's, Church Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

St. John's Church; Church Street; William Robertson; Henry VII's Chapel in Westminster Abbey; St. Columba's Mission Chapel; Southside Road; St. John The Evangelist

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

St. John's Church, situated on Church Street in Inverness, was opened in July 1838. Designed by William Robertson, the roof of the church was modelled on that of Henry VII's Chapel in Westminster Abbey. Costing well over £2000 to build, St. John's was demolished in 1903, although the tower still remained in Church Street until 1958.<br /> <br /> After the demolition, the congregation transferred to St. Columba's Mission Chapel, on Southside Road. Some architectural changes were then made to the chapel to encompass various parts of the old St. John's Church. The chapel was renamed 'St. John The Evangelist' <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.