Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunbar's Hospital, Church St, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_6B_VII
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11137
KEYWORDS
Dunbar's Hospital
Church Street
Alexander Dunbar
weighhouses
coats-of-arms
parish library
female school
female work society
cholera
hospitals
Dunbar's Hospital, Church St, Inverness

Dunbar's Hospital, situated on Church Street in Inverness, dates from 1668. Built by Alexander Dunbar of Barmuckety and Westfield, it is believed to have replaced an earlier hospital.

The building has three storeys and has been used for various roles throughout the years.The right section of the ground floor housed the Grammar School until 1792, when Inverness Royal Academy was built.The left section of the ground floor housed the weighhouse. Above the arched doorway is a tablet containing the Dunbar coat-of-arms, and an inscription recording that the rent of the weighhouse was payable to the hospital's treasurer. In later years, the building was divided up to serve as a parish library, a female school and a female work society. It is believed that the ground floor once housed fire engines. When cholera raged in the town of Inverness, part of the building was again used as a hospital


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunbar's Hospital, Church St, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s; 1900s

Dunbar's Hospital; Church Street; Alexander Dunbar; weighhouses; coats-of-arms; parish library; female school; female work society; cholera; hospitals

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Dunbar's Hospital, situated on Church Street in Inverness, dates from 1668. Built by Alexander Dunbar of Barmuckety and Westfield, it is believed to have replaced an earlier hospital.<br /> <br /> The building has three storeys and has been used for various roles throughout the years.The right section of the ground floor housed the Grammar School until 1792, when Inverness Royal Academy was built.The left section of the ground floor housed the weighhouse. Above the arched doorway is a tablet containing the Dunbar coat-of-arms, and an inscription recording that the rent of the weighhouse was payable to the hospital's treasurer. In later years, the building was divided up to serve as a parish library, a female school and a female work society. It is believed that the ground floor once housed fire engines. When cholera raged in the town of Inverness, part of the building was again used as a hospital <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />