Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duke of Sutherland's railway - opening ceremony
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_11_V
PLACENAME
Dunrobin
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
1 November 1870
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11142
KEYWORDS
railways
railway stations
engines
Duke of Sutherland
Duke of Sutherland's railway - opening ceremony

On 20 June 1870 an Act of Parliament was passed granting the Duke of Sutherland permission to build a railway on his estate from Golspie to Brora and Brora to Helmsdale. Construction had begun before the Act was signed and the Dunrobin to West Helmsdale section opened on 1 November 1870.

The line was built to develop the infrastructure of the estate. There were stations at Golspie, Dunrobin, Brora and Loth. Dunrobin was the Duke's private station situated near to the castle and has been known as Dunrobin, Dunrobin Castle and Dunrobin Halt. It was rebuilt in 1902. In July 1874 the Sutherland and Caithness Railway extended the line north from Helmsdale to Wick and Thurso


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duke of Sutherland's railway - opening ceremony

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1870s

railways; railway stations; engines; Duke of Sutherland

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

On 20 June 1870 an Act of Parliament was passed granting the Duke of Sutherland permission to build a railway on his estate from Golspie to Brora and Brora to Helmsdale. Construction had begun before the Act was signed and the Dunrobin to West Helmsdale section opened on 1 November 1870. <br /> <br /> The line was built to develop the infrastructure of the estate. There were stations at Golspie, Dunrobin, Brora and Loth. Dunrobin was the Duke's private station situated near to the castle and has been known as Dunrobin, Dunrobin Castle and Dunrobin Halt. It was rebuilt in 1902. In July 1874 the Sutherland and Caithness Railway extended the line north from Helmsdale to Wick and Thurso <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.