Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Castle, Castle Road and Ness Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_54B_II
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11191
KEYWORDS
castles
bridges
court houses
jails
Inverness Castle, Castle Road and Ness Bridge

There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.

The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.

Ness Bridge was opened in August 1855. It was a suspension bridge spanning 68.5 metres and replaced the previous structure, which had been washed away in the floods of 1849. Unable to cope with the volume of traffic a contract was tendered for a replacement in 1939 though work did not begin for a further 20 years.

The group of houses, known as Gordon Place, originally had gardens which sloped down to the river but these were removed when the road was widened and raised to allow for the suspension bridge in 1855. The houses were demolished in 1900 to make way for a group of larger properties which were in turn demolished in 1959 to allow for the demolition of the suspension bridge.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Castle, Castle Road and Ness Bridge

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

castles; bridges; court houses; jails

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.<br /> <br /> The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.<br /> <br /> Ness Bridge was opened in August 1855. It was a suspension bridge spanning 68.5 metres and replaced the previous structure, which had been washed away in the floods of 1849. Unable to cope with the volume of traffic a contract was tendered for a replacement in 1939 though work did not begin for a further 20 years.<br /> <br /> The group of houses, known as Gordon Place, originally had gardens which sloped down to the river but these were removed when the road was widened and raised to allow for the suspension bridge in 1855. The houses were demolished in 1900 to make way for a group of larger properties which were in turn demolished in 1959 to allow for the demolition of the suspension bridge. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.