Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ness Bridge and Inverness Castle
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_54_II
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1878
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11193
KEYWORDS
castles
bridges
court houses
jails
Ness Bridge and Inverness Castle

There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.

The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.

Ness Bridge was opened in August 1855. It was a suspension bridge spanning 68.5 metres and replaced the previous structure, which had been washed away in the floods of 1849. Unable to cope with the volume of traffic a contract was tendered for a replacement in 1939 though work did not begin for a further 20 years


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ness Bridge and Inverness Castle

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

castles; bridges; court houses; jails

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.<br /> <br /> The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the court house became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.<br /> <br /> Ness Bridge was opened in August 1855. It was a suspension bridge spanning 68.5 metres and replaced the previous structure, which had been washed away in the floods of 1849. Unable to cope with the volume of traffic a contract was tendered for a replacement in 1939 though work did not begin for a further 20 years <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.