Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Hotels on Ness Walk
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_56_II
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11195
KEYWORDS
Palace Hotel
Columba Hotel
Hotels
Ness House
Alexander Ross
Inverness Hotels on Ness Walk

Inverness Hotels on Ness Walk. They both occupy the site of the 18th century mansion Ness House. The mansion was demolished around 1870.

The Palace Hotel (left) was built in 1890, to the designs of Dr. Alexander Ross. It is a Baronial-style three storey building, with two conical-roofed towers, connected by an arch. The construction of the railway made Inverness a popular tourist destination and the Palace was one of the first tourist hotels in the town.

The Columba Hotel (right), also designed by Ross, was built in 1881. When it first opened, it was called 'The Victoria' and then it became 'The Alexandra' during the 1920s. It was not until 1923 that it came to be known as 'The Columba'. Above the front first-storey window is a tablet with a carving of a dove. The word 'columba' is Latin for 'dove'


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Hotels on Ness Walk

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s

Palace Hotel; Columba Hotel; Hotels; Ness House; Alexander Ross

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Inverness Hotels on Ness Walk. They both occupy the site of the 18th century mansion Ness House. The mansion was demolished around 1870.<br /> <br /> The Palace Hotel (left) was built in 1890, to the designs of Dr. Alexander Ross. It is a Baronial-style three storey building, with two conical-roofed towers, connected by an arch. The construction of the railway made Inverness a popular tourist destination and the Palace was one of the first tourist hotels in the town. <br /> <br /> The Columba Hotel (right), also designed by Ross, was built in 1881. When it first opened, it was called 'The Victoria' and then it became 'The Alexandra' during the 1920s. It was not until 1923 that it came to be known as 'The Columba'. Above the front first-storey window is a tablet with a carving of a dove. The word 'columba' is Latin for 'dove' <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.