Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Group of boys in Inverness Indoor Market, 1870
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_111
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1870
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11209
KEYWORDS
Inverness
indoor markets
fishwives
children
Group of boys in Inverness Indoor Market, 1870

Group of boys in Inverness Indoor Market, 1870. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street and Union Street, this market was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. The new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows and side-shows when the tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market comprises of separate shops under the one roof


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Group of boys in Inverness Indoor Market, 1870

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

Inverness; indoor markets; fishwives; children

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Group of boys in Inverness Indoor Market, 1870. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street and Union Street, this market was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. The new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows and side-shows when the tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market comprises of separate shops under the one roof <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.