Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The back of the old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_123
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11217
KEYWORDS
Caledonian Hotel
Inverness
St John's Masonic Lodge
The back of the old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness

The back of the old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness. Dating from 1780, the hotel was originally built as a superior meeting place for members of St John's Masonic Lodge - the masonic symbol can be seen on the building on the right. It was built using money from the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates. Enlarged in 1822 and again in 1882, in its heyday it boasted a patronage which included the Royal Family and other leading nobility of Europe. In a guidebook of 1893 it claimed to be 'the only First-Class Hotel overlooking the River Ness'. It was demolished in 1966 to make way for the current building


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The back of the old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

Caledonian Hotel; Inverness; St John's Masonic Lodge

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The back of the old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness. Dating from 1780, the hotel was originally built as a superior meeting place for members of St John's Masonic Lodge - the masonic symbol can be seen on the building on the right. It was built using money from the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates. Enlarged in 1822 and again in 1882, in its heyday it boasted a patronage which included the Royal Family and other leading nobility of Europe. In a guidebook of 1893 it claimed to be 'the only First-Class Hotel overlooking the River Ness'. It was demolished in 1966 to make way for the current building <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.