Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The 1st SHVR at Invergordon, June 1893
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_129
PLACENAME
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
DATE OF IMAGE
June 1893
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11222
KEYWORDS
army
war
military
highland regiments
volunteers & militias
The 1st SHVR at Invergordon, June 1893

The 1st Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers (SHVR) at Invergordon, June 1893. The eight original companies of the SHVR were formed in 1859-61. Four of these were raised in Sutherland (1st Golspie Company, 2nd Dornoch Company, 3rd Brora Company and 4th Rogart Company), three were raised in Caithness (1st Thurso Company, 2nd Wick Company and 3rd Halkirk Company) and one was raised in Orkney and Shetland (1st Lerwick Company). These were incorporated in the 1st Administrative Battalion Sutherland Rifle Volunteers with headquarters at Golspie.

In 1866 HRH The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) became Honorary Colonel of the battalion. In 1867 the 4th Watten Company was raised in Caithness and, in the following year, the 5th Bonar Bridge Company was raised in Sutherland.

A further phase of expansion occured in the 1880s with new companies raised in Wick and Reay and the the replacement of the Lerwick Company with one from Lairg. The brass band was replaced by a pipe band in 1883. The battalion received the Campaign Honour 'South Africa 1900-02' for the service of 87 of its volunteers in the Boer War


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The 1st SHVR at Invergordon, June 1893

ROSS: Rosskeen

1890s

army; war; military; highland regiments; volunteers & militias

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

The 1st Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers (SHVR) at Invergordon, June 1893. The eight original companies of the SHVR were formed in 1859-61. Four of these were raised in Sutherland (1st Golspie Company, 2nd Dornoch Company, 3rd Brora Company and 4th Rogart Company), three were raised in Caithness (1st Thurso Company, 2nd Wick Company and 3rd Halkirk Company) and one was raised in Orkney and Shetland (1st Lerwick Company). These were incorporated in the 1st Administrative Battalion Sutherland Rifle Volunteers with headquarters at Golspie. <br /> <br /> In 1866 HRH The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) became Honorary Colonel of the battalion. In 1867 the 4th Watten Company was raised in Caithness and, in the following year, the 5th Bonar Bridge Company was raised in Sutherland.<br /> <br /> A further phase of expansion occured in the 1880s with new companies raised in Wick and Reay and the the replacement of the Lerwick Company with one from Lairg. The brass band was replaced by a pipe band in 1883. The battalion received the Campaign Honour 'South Africa 1900-02' for the service of 87 of its volunteers in the Boer War <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.