Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Four-in-hand carriage passing the memorial cairn at Culloden Battlefield
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_1999_116_159
PLACENAME
Culloden Moor
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1890
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
11232
KEYWORDS
cairn
Culloden Battlefield
Battle of Culloden
Culloden Moor
Prince Charlie
Charles Edward Stuart
Bonnie Prince Charlie
National Trust for Scotland
four-in-hand
Four-in-hand carriage passing the memorial cairn at Culloden Battlefield

Four-in-hand carriage passing the memorial cairn at Culloden Battlefield. A four-in-hand is a carriage with four horses, introduced into Britain in the late 19th century and designed in such a way that the driver could hold the reins of all four horses in one hand. Before the invention of the four-in-hand, carriages with four horses had to have two drivers.The plaque which is built into the cairn reads, "THE BATTLE OF CULLODEN WAS FOUGHT ON THIS MOOR 16TH APRIL 1746. THE GRAVES OF THE GALLANT HIGHLANDERS WHO FOUGHT FOR SCOTLAND & PRINCE CHARLIE ARE MARKED BY THE NAMES OF THEIR CLANS."

The cairn, standing twenty feet high, was erected in 1881 by Duncan Forbes of Culloden and on the Saturday closest to the 16th April each year, a ceremony takes place beside the cairn, in memory of the fallen. The road which can be seen in the photograph, was constructed in 1835 and cut through areas where the clan graves are situated. The road was realigned between 1984 and 1986


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Four-in-hand carriage passing the memorial cairn at Culloden Battlefield

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

cairn; Culloden Battlefield; Battle of Culloden; Culloden Moor; Prince Charlie; Charles Edward Stuart; Bonnie Prince Charlie; National Trust for Scotland; four-in-hand

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Joseph Cook Collection

Four-in-hand carriage passing the memorial cairn at Culloden Battlefield. A four-in-hand is a carriage with four horses, introduced into Britain in the late 19th century and designed in such a way that the driver could hold the reins of all four horses in one hand. Before the invention of the four-in-hand, carriages with four horses had to have two drivers.The plaque which is built into the cairn reads, "THE BATTLE OF CULLODEN WAS FOUGHT ON THIS MOOR 16TH APRIL 1746. THE GRAVES OF THE GALLANT HIGHLANDERS WHO FOUGHT FOR SCOTLAND & PRINCE CHARLIE ARE MARKED BY THE NAMES OF THEIR CLANS." <br /> <br /> The cairn, standing twenty feet high, was erected in 1881 by Duncan Forbes of Culloden and on the Saturday closest to the 16th April each year, a ceremony takes place beside the cairn, in memory of the fallen. The road which can be seen in the photograph, was constructed in 1835 and cut through areas where the clan graves are situated. The road was realigned between 1984 and 1986 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.